The Mount Everest Lebong Lodge, a foundation Lodge, No. 52 on the rolls of Grand Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of India was constituted at Darjeeling under the title of The Mount Everest Lodge No. 2439 E.C. by virtue of a Warrant dated 7th September, 1892 granted by United Grand Lodge of England on a petition made by 13 founders of this Lodge. The first Worshipful Master was W. Bro. Andrew Holmes in 1892-93. His Highness R. W. Bro. Sir N. N. Bhup Bahadur of Coochbehar was a founder member and he continued to be member till his death in 1911. The Lodge members worked substantially to promote Masonic activity and constituted another Craft Lodge namely The Lodge Lebong No. 3321 E.C. for the benefit of the Military Garrison then stationed at Lebong within 5 miles of Darjeeling. The members further helped greatly in forming The United Dooars Lodge No. 3351 E.C. at Nagrakata in the Dooars area of Jalpaiguri district. The members met twice a year during the spring and autumn seasons when the visitors crowded Darjeeling for holidays. The register of members included those from different walks of life viz. Indian Civil Service cadre, professors, servicemen, lawyers, engineers, landlords, tea planters etc. The roll of members included doyens like V. W. Bro. Manindra Nath Sain Naturist & Botanist, W. Bro. A. E. Smith – Superintendent of Excise in Darjeeling, R. W. Bro. Sunil Singh Roy, Regional Grand Master of Eastern India, W. Bro. Sir Uday Chand Mahtab – Maharjadhiraja of Burdwan, R. W. Bro. Amiya Nath Banerjee – Tea Planter and several others. In 1961, the Lodge opted to join the Grand Lodge of India (Warrant dated 24th November, 1961 issued by GLI). The Lebong Lodge amalgamated with The Mount Everest Lodge in 1961 and the then M. W. The Grand Master sanctioned the renaming of Lodge to The Mount Everest Lebong Lodge effective from 29th September, 1963. The Lodge thereafter functioned very well till mid-eighties, when political disturbances in the hills forced the Lodge to suspend its activities. The Lodge was transferred from Darjeeling & revived at Calcutta on 21st December, 2005 by virtue of Dispensation No. 3971 dated 16th December 2005 granted by RGLEI and M. W. The Grand Master’s letter dated 28th November 2005. Warrant of Confirmation dated 1st September 2006 was issued to the Lodge by the Grand Lodge of India.
|M.W. The Grand Master of The Grand Lodge of India|
M.W. Bro. Anish Kumar Sharma, OSM
|Worshipful Master, Mount Everest Lebong Lodge No. 52|
W. Bro. Samarjit Choudhury